/Judge orders Kevin Spacey accuser to reveal his identity in order to continue with lawsuit – Fox News

Judge orders Kevin Spacey accuser to reveal his identity in order to continue with lawsuit – Fox News


A U.S. District Judge in Manhattan has decided that a man accusing Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey of sexually abusing him when he was 14 cannot proceed with the case anonymousuly.

On Monday, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan refused to let the man proceed only as “C.D.” in a lawsuit filed in September in New York state court and later moved to federal court. The lawsuit claims that C.D. was abused by the actor when he was underage in the 1980s.

The man had reportedly met Spacey in the actor’s suburban New York acting class before the alleged abuse, according to the lawsuit which seeks over $40 million in damages.

Kaplan said C.D.’s privacy interest does not outweigh the presumption of open judicial proceedings and the prejudice to Spacey’s defense that would occur if he could proceed anonymously. Individuals with information that might support Spacey also would not know to come forward, the judge added.

KEVIN SPACEY ACCUSED OF GROPING ‘HOUSE OF CARDS’ PRODUCTION ASSISTANT: REPORT

Kevin Spacey's accuser has been ordered to identify themself after previously hoping to remain anonymous throughout the trial.

Kevin Spacey’s accuser has been ordered to identify themself after previously hoping to remain anonymous throughout the trial.
(Daniel Zuchnik/WireImage)

C.D. since the 1990s had spoken to an unknown number of people about his claims against Spacey and had apparently cooperated for a New York magazine article that appeared on Vulture in November 2017, Kaplan said.

He said “the evidence suggests that C.D. knowingly and repeatedly took the risk that any of these individuals at one point or another would reveal his true identity in a manner that would bring that identity to wide public attention.”

Kaplan noted that C.D. also recruited for the lawsuit his co-plaintiff, Anthony Rapp, who has appeared in “Rent” on Broadway and in “Star Trek: Discovery” on television. The lawsuit said the older actor made a sexual advance to a teenage Rapp at a 1980s party, allegations he himself detailed in 2017 that kicked off public scrutiny of Spacey’s past.

When Rapp first spoke publicly of his claim, others went public too and Spacey’s then-celebrated career abruptly halted. At the time, Spacey issued a statement saying he didn’t remember the encounter but apologized.

KEVIN SPACEY SUED BY ANTHONY RAPP, ANOTHER PLAINTIFF FOR ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSAULT IN 1980S: DOCS

The judge said claims by C.D.’s lawyers that using their client’s name would trigger post traumatic stress disorder and the anxiety, nightmares and depression that come with it is a consequence that likely cannot be prevented as the case proceeds and C.D. is ultimately forced to testify in public.

He gave lawyers 10 days to reveal C.D.’s name if he continued to make the claims.

In an early March letter to the judge, attorney Peter Saghir said C.D. feels “extreme anxiety and psychological distress at even the thought of being required to proceed publicly” and had reluctantly decided to drop his claims if Kaplan ordered him to proceed publicly.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

Kevin Spacey was sued by 'Star Trek: Discovery' actor Anthony Rapp. 

Kevin Spacey was sued by ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ actor Anthony Rapp. 
(Getty Images)

If C.D. drops his claims, he would not be the first to do so. Two years ago, a man who said Spacey groped him in a Nantucket bar in 2016 dropped his lawsuit.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Meanwhile, investigators in England have not yet said whether they will bring criminal charges against Spacey in connection with accusations made against him there for events alleged to have occurred from 1996 to 2013.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Original Source